Saturday, June 19, 2010

Training Day: Saturday

The Open Mat/Henryque Send Off on Saturday was good training. I got to the Eastside academy later than I wanted (about 12:30 p.m.), but managed to get in three great rolls with Lance, Clint and Doug. It was great to see Clint, who is on his way back from shouder surgery, and both Lance and Doug are always good to train with. I forgot to swap out Mundial 2009 DVDs with Lance, but I'll probably get a chance to do that this week.

A lot of folks training. It was good to see Sauleh and Andrew training, also. I started to get leg cramps during my roll with Clint, probably because I did a make-up aerobic capacity workout on the treadmill (45 minutes at HR 135-145) that morning before making the drive over. I managed to roll through it, but there were more than a few hairy moments.

Played a lot of pass guard with Lance, working for the underhook from on top against his mobile guard. With Clint, I played more guard and realized that my collar choke is still far from where it needs to be. Half guard was more my style with Doug, trying to work the Rap Star entries, but mostly doing a lot of escaping.

I didn't stick around for the BBQ - in large part because I was starving and figured that I could get home and fed by the time the first hot dogs came off the grill at the academy. Besides, me and Mrs Side Control had a grilling date of our own planned: Ribeye Steaks, Crazy Heart and Ultimate Fight Night: a perfect way to finish a nice day of open mat training.