Monday, April 11, 2011

Training Day: Monday

Back on the ATM tip ...

Very good advanced training. We spent about 30 minutes doing flow-work, where the guy in the guard works sweeps against a passive opponent, then three minutes of guard passing under the same rules, three minutes of back attack each and three minutes of turtle attack each. I got to train with Brock, which was great in part because I think it has been months since we got to train together. Even though Brock has some good size, I never feel as if he is taking advantage of it. That actually describes quite a few of our bigger guys, which is great.

Got to train with Rodrigo for about 30 minutes. That was one hell of a session. I'm still working to get my jiu jitsu cardio back (I was fairly whipped after the training with Brock), but insofar as I was able to put in 30 pretty active minutes with Rodrigo, I don't think I'm too bad off. One thing I'm definitely getting better at is making that one strong urgent move to get at least from a horrible situation to one that is not so horrible.

More to do on that front, of course. But I'll take what I can get.

Nothing special really stood out for me out of tonight's training. I forgot to ask Rodrigo to show me that detail with the clock choke where you use the shoulder of your choking arm to help add pressure. But hopefully I can get to that later this week. I think the most surprising thing was finding myself in Marcelo Garcia's one-leg X-guard and actually being able to work with it a bit.

160.1 on the scale post-train, everything but the gi. Again, a perfect number, even though I'm about as far from a six-pack as the Schick Shadel Client of the Week. Interestingly Rodrigo, who is about an inch or two taller than me, is at 153 and change and looking to get where I am. I'd take his sub-155 pre-train weight any day.