Saturday, April 02, 2011

Training Day: Saturday

Some truly great training on Saturday. I arrived a little late (surprise, surprise), but got there just in time to work on some guard/pass guard specific with Nate, a four-stripe brown belt from GB Lake Stevens/North Shore Jiu Jitsu/Tap or Snap who actually was awarded his black belt at the end of the first class.

I also got to train quite a bit with Doug, who's become a regular training partner whenever I've been lucky enough to train on Saturdays. Training with Doug in particular reminded me of how I need to work my 2on1 guard back into my game, and that will be something I work on for the next few weeks. At the end of the day, passing guard is going to make the difference for me. But to the extent that training begins on the ground and that often you've got to pull guard to get things started, re-introducing the 2on1 will be a good thing for training overall going forward.

Got to talk with both Pat and Professor Carlos about the Pan. For both, the Pan seemed to be a turning point type of experience. It all got me thinking more and more seriously about competing at the Pan next year, and the idea of starting to train for it NOW in the small ways that will accumulate into something big 11 months from now.

Talked with Prof Kevin about training at GB Federal Way on Sundays. That will be a great fit for those weekends (most of them) when I can't train on Saturdays.

159.6 on the scale-post train. I've started to embrace a one-big-meal, Warrior Diet approach to eating now that it is starting to warm up and brighten up outside. Right now, it's more like a one-big-meal, one-little-meal strategy, but I can already feel the difference in body load. Ideally, I'd love to get to a walking around weight of about 155 by the end of the month.