Monday, April 25, 2011

Training Day: Monday

A nice session all around. Even though it was a combined "Fundamentals/Advanced" class in the first hour due to some illnesses among the other instructors, I have to admit that there was something in the mix that was almost perfect.

A little self-defense, then a pair of guard passes (double unders and a pass I've called the Fowler), then a little time to train them semi-live. Given my focus right now, this was a great way to start the week.

There were a lot of things that I wanted to do that I did tonight. The best in a long time in that regard. I got to work the backstep pass against the half guard, the Marcelo pass series from standing (#1 and #2, but no #3), even a little bit of the Fowler in one instance. For some reason, I go totally dyslexic when it comes to the basic grab the sleeve 'n' stand guard open and pass, and never get the foot forward and grip side coordinated right. But tonight was a very good, "first night" kind of training session. The trick will be following up over the balance of the week (and weeks, and months).

To that end, I am overjoyed that GB Seattle is having a special training this Saturday with folks from Lake Stevens and a local MMA school bringing guys over. The interschool is a chance for those who want to get in some tournament-type atmospheres ahead of the May Revolution. But it looks like the real opportunity for some top quality training is going to be on South Hanford this Saturday morning and early afternoon and I couldn't be looking forward to it more.

Training with Prof. Rodrigo and Casey, the goal is movement. Nothing is more important. I agree with Pete Roberts in that fun post from BJJ Weekly that "movement" is the real final frontier as far as jiu jitsu is concerned. At the advanced level, maybe at the "black belt" level, that's the key to everything else that follows.

I remember Lance telling me about something that Prof. Christiano told him, the idea of not stopping until you are in an advantageous position. It sounds simple, even obvious. But the practical implications in everything from attitudes toward conditioning to tactics and strategy are immense. And when you combine that with something very insightful Ryan Hall said about Marcelo Garcia, you have a jiu jitsu that becomes increasingly coherent, or at least potentially so.

Great encouragement during the advanced session late in Live Training. I think I was in the 160 bpm range by the time I was done (I know for sure I was clocking between 148 and 152 after my first round). But it was really nice to get to train with two exceptional black belts. And if I can keep at it, I'm more and more convinced that I'll be glad that I did.

162.1 on the scale, post-train. Not bad at all one month out, especially for a Monday.