Thursday, January 10, 2008

Coursework: More Takedowns and the Mount

More takedowns to start Thursday night's training. We worked pummeling for the most part, increasing the resistance gradually. Rodrigo showed us a takedown from the pummelling stance that allows you to trap the arm and the leg on the same side and go for a modified single leg.

To set up the takedown, let's say you've got an underhook on the left side and are cupping the elbow on your right side.

Slide your hand down the length of the guy's forearm, shoving his arm against his body. Drop to your inside knee as you move down, and reach around with your far arm and wrap up the guy's inside leg. Get deep, then stand up to get the takedown.

I want to make sure that I've got the drop leg right. I'm thinking that you drop on your inside knee--the same as you would for a duck-under. But I'm not 100% sure.

We also worked on maintaining the mount. It was sort of a free drilling/controlled sparring type of situation. It was nice to practice my mount escapes, really focusing on checking the hips, turning to my side, and escaping my hips back and away.