Monday, January 14, 2008

Coursework: Tournament Prep

First time training on a Monday afternoon. Pretty good turnout.

Today we did tournament prep. Three minutes of standing only sparring (light but real). Then four minutes of full sparring starting from standing and then continuing on the ground.

I'm still a little timid from standing, though I do very well when I attack. I'm still nervous about throwing people, so I've been relying on ankle picks a la Jacare as my "go to" takedown. I've tried a headlock throw that didn't end up disastrously, so maybe I can keep the kubi-nage in my toolkit.

Also doing a pretty good job defending the choke, although I'm getting caught in armlocks as a consequence. The main issue is moving from "defending the choke" to actually working to escape rear mount.