Monday, March 03, 2008

Monday Mat Time

Starting off March right with a Monday afternoon class. Rodrigo was away with a sick daughter, so Brian, then Casey ran the class.

I still feel as if I'm trying to get my feet wet, again, to at least feel like a blue belt. I've got some good instincts still intact, and I did pretty well with Old School from the half-guard during a guard-specific drill. But I don't yet have the facility I think I should as a blue belt. Still too many basic flaws.

Missed a great opportunity to work the butterfly guard during the guard-specific drill. If I'm going to rely on the butterfly/Cobra guard, then I need to work it at every opportunity.

A few submissions today: a guillotine from Cobra guard. A straight armlock from crossbody.

The class Brian led was mostly armlocks from the mount and armlocks from the guard. The basic drills. I'm not sure I'm every going to be armlocking anyone from the guard any time soon, but it was nice to get in the armlock from the mount work.

Weight post-training was 161.2. Not great, but not terrible for a Monday.