Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pan Ams One Week Away


The deadline for registration is midnight tonight, Pacific time. I won't be competing, and I'm not sure if there are many folks from Gracie Barra Seattle who will be this year. Last year, if I remember correctly, Tommy, Griff and Lindsey were among our guys who made the trip to L.A. for the event.

Rebecca and I were actually talking about the Pan Ams earlier today. I could conceive of a situation where I competed at next year's event. A part of me thinks that it's the kind of thing everybody should do at least once in their jiu jitsu career: compete in a really major tournament. I certainly won't be heartbroken if I never get around to it. But it's something to think about. If I have a year like I had this past week, where I managed to train four times, then I might find myself making the trip to L.A. after all.

Great training this past week. I managed to make it to the academy four times: Monday and Wednesday afternoons, Thursday night and then again on Friday afternoon. I'm a little beat-up and worn out today for it. But I'd love to be able to train that often on a regular basis. If things at work would just chill out a bit (yeah, right) ...

Weighed-in at 156.6 after training on Friday. A great number. By the end of the next six week period leading up to the Submission Wrestling League event on May 3rd, I'm going to be needing to START the week around that level if I'm going to make 149.9.