Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Training

We worked a couple of open guard drills to warm up: the sweep I called the back sweep mostly. After that, we did a lot of positional sparring and I spent several minutes working my guard.

I'm doing a terrible job of working on my butterfly/Cobra guard. Save for the poosh sweep, I've really not done what I need to be doing if I'm going to make butterfly/Cobra guard a mainstay. Guard specifics are the optimal time to work on it--especially since Rodrigo has been letting the bottom guy stay whether or not he gets the sweep or submission. That way, at least to my way of thinking, the guy on the bottom can work harder to get his guard work in, without being afraid of losing out and having to go back on the wall.

Rolled with a couple of guys: Lindsey, who was tough as nails, Brian and a few white belts. I'm definitely getting my mat time in these days. The trick will be to keep it going at this pace (i.e., three days a week training alternating with four days a week training).