Saturday, February 07, 2009

GB Friendly: February 21st at GB Bellevue


This should be a pretty exciting event given the huge number of both white and blue belts that are likely to compete. When you add Ballard, Lake Stevens, and Yakima to the Seattle and Bellevue mix, it seems to me that we are likely to see a lot of very good matches.

Not sure what they'll have in store for purple belts. I don't remember many purple belt matches at these intramural tournaments - though Jesse and John did have that epic advanced belt contest last time out.

Anyway, in addition to enjoying the competition and maybe honing my coaching skills, I need to make sure that I follow my gameplan of guard passing, pressure and movement on top. I've switched up my off the mat training to focus on power and power endurance this past week and I think my timing was perfect: Three weeks of strength work followed by three weeks of power work, along side the basic six week squat program.

I'm averaging about 3.5 training sessions a week on the mat since the first full week of January (3.4 to be exact). It's a good pace, and though I've felt myself dragging a little this week, I think the week ended well.

The next two weeks have me stepping up my off the mat training by another two training sessions each week: most likely adding the 3T Jiu jitsu tabata drills on Wednesday and Friday to top off my anaerobic training. They will be my main form of conditioning off the mat for the last two weeks of "camp" after that.