Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday Night Training


I suppose this is a bit of a rant.

I left training early tonight. Not ridiculously so, but early enough to feel a little shortchanged for the training week. I don't want to make it sound like tonight was a thoroughly shitty evening: it was nice to work on some details on the armlock from the mount and even after the class I got to help out a teammate which is probably one of the things that I enjoy most about training.

< Begin Rant >

But one thing that I really can't stand is being big-timed. I would argue that I spend as much time training in, writing about, reading about, watching, listening to and thinking about jiu jitsu as anybody. And in all this time I've figured out a few things. These things don't make me better than anybody else, or smarter than anyone else when it comes to grappling. But they don't make me a fucking idiot, either.

The long and short of it is this: I'm keeping my own damn counsel from here on out. I'm far too old and, quite frankly, work too damn hard to be treated like somebody's pesky little brother.

< End Rant >