Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tuesday Night Training

I'm writing this up Wednesday night. I took off training Monday night so that I could be around for Rebecca when she got home from her first day of work.

The instruction was mostly in taking the back and executing chokes against the defender in the turtle position. #1 was the basic move of swinging the elbow over the back to trap the hip (or under the arm, I'm not sure), then the backstep to move to the side. #2 was the basic move, only Rodrigo added the step back with the other leg to complete the move to the side.

#3, if I remember correctly, was a version of the clock choke. Key details here included feeding the collar to your choking hand to get a good choking grip, and to grab the non-choking lapel and pull it tight to help set the choke.

From a body perspective, Rodrigo had us put all our weight on the guy's upper back and head, with your head almost on the mat. It was a little different from the typical sit-out method of finishing the clock choke but, as long as your balance is okay, then this new method seems to produce a pretty tight choke.

We did some standup sparring for the advanced class. I got to spar with Jeff from the Revolution tournaments, Stephen and Andrew. I'm still a little skittish starting from standing. But it is definitely the thing to do in advance of a tournament.