Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Partial Rep Squats

I've always thought that my hamstrings dominated my quadriceps when it came to leg power. Only when doing very quad specfic exercises like leg raises did I ever feel a real burn on the top of my legs. Even now, with my focus on squatting and inclines on the treadmill, I rarely feel significant stress in my quads while my hamstrings are getting stronger and more flexibile.

The problem is that I can instantly feel the burn when I do partial rep squats. When it comes to takedowns, especially leg attacks, being able to move around comfortably in this semi-crouch is crucial. It makes it easy to fake high and go low, for example, over and over again without tiring.

Here's an interesting article that talks about the partial rep squat and its relationship to what they call "springiness" in the legs.

Partial Squats: An Outstanding Exercise for Improving Your Strength, Stability and Efficiency
Runners who use partial squats find them especially helpful during speed workouts. They report that regular partial squatting makes their legs feel less tired during high-quality training sessions. Interestingly, this relief is often immediately apparent, suggesting that there is a strong neurological benefit associated with the 'pose' of the exercise and the balancing involved. You may safely carry out a high-quality track or other intense workout immediately after completing the partial squat routine - and expect to perform at a higher-than-normal level. Soccer and basketball players may also include partial squats as part of their pre-workout warm-ups.