Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sour Times

A big fat dose of bad luck arrived Wednesday afternoon. I'm not going to get specific and I suppose we'll recover eventually. But for right now, I am filled with a pretty raw misanthropic disgust for the average human animal. You go through life hoping that, at a minimum, reasonableness will prevail. At least more often than not. What you don't expect to do is to go through life encountering people who will brazenly lie to your face.

It gets worse. Much worse. At this point, I'm feeling little motivation to do anything other than dare speeding cars to run me down. I didn't end up training tonight; I was literally 15 minutes before walking out the door when the news hit. But there was no way I was going to be able to focus on training tonight. Hopefully, Thursday will be better.

Not a good week going into the intramural event - and I'll admit that I've considered skipping it. I've been having a hard time getting into the flow, first with my conditioning workout starting to make me feel more than a little overtrained, then a minor cold, some assorted training bullshite, and now this new news.

There's an argument that this is as bad as it is going to get for now. I'm sympathetic to that way of thinking. I'm also sympathetic to Mao's great quote: "it's always darkest before it goes completely black."