Thursday, January 08, 2009

Cindy in the Seattle Weekly

A great story on Cindy makes it to the front page of the Seattle Weekly
It's a pretty good article - and excellent publicity for Cindy. I saw the guy who wrote the article a couple of times at the academy. I remember Cindy calling me to the mat for a quick roll to show the guy, as she put it, "that I actually know what I'm doing." It was a typical trip in the spin cycle for me, frantically fighting off chokes, armlocks, guard passes with everything I had. Much fun, as always.

Very in-depth article, too. I didn't know that Cindy had been married, though I'd read a few other good stories and interviews about her life (she gave a very candid interview to On the Mat a little while ago). I know that the free weekly thing isn't a big deal for a lot of people who never read them. But I've loved free weeklies ever since my friend Charles Howard turned me on to the Baltimore City Paper back in twilight of the Reagan years. I've always trust and respect those weeklies in any given city far more than I ever do the dailies.

The cover is excellent, by the way. I'm looking to see if I can find a picture of it to go with this post because I really think it does do Cindy justice. It's really nice coverage, and a pretty good story, as well. Props to both the subject and the author.