Saturday, January 24, 2009

Straight Outta Tatame

A couple of things stand out this week:

With regard to things that are at the top of my agenda, I'm still not going to the overhook guard like I should. This was a priority for January and I've done a pretty poor job of going back to it. I've got another week before I'll consider the opportunity truly missed, so we'll see if I can do better in the last few training days of January.

A little bit better with the moth guard transition. I need to remember that it is all part of a flow starting with the half guard. If I get my underhook and hip control, then go for the tackle sweep. If there is one thing that has been working for me very well, it's been that tackle sweep out of half guard, by the way. I need to make sure that I'm getting my underhook low, right at the thigh, instead of across the back so I can get the leverage I need. But it's been a good sweep for me over the past three weeks or so.

If I don't get the underhook, then I need to be looking to transition to overhook guard, moth guard or turning over entirely and looking for the stuff sweep, kimura or X-guard options out of a more LHG (long half guard) approach. Obviously, the moth guard option isn't there for no gi. But the general idea of getting my outside knee involved more in the defense if I lose the underhook on that side still applies.

No real notes with regard to guard passing. I played a lot of guard this week, I guess. There are some fundamentals I need to focus on: putting pass-side knee to the mat with my weight instead of arm strength, switching sides with the Royler pass against the knee-up half guard ...

From the top, I need to get back to transitioning to north-south and attacking the arms. Mount is good for points, and I do want to continue working on katagatame from mount. But crossbody and north south remain my finishing dominant positions and I need to start working more consistently from those positions of dominance.