Saturday, January 03, 2009

Martell: January

William Martell's Greco-Roman Wrestling is one of my favorite books on combat sports. In fact, I'd put it right up there with Gene LeBell's Judo in the top ten books for martial artists and fighter/athletes. Not only are both books filled with great techniques and fundamentals for grapplers, but also the two share insights into the basics of what combat and, importantly, preparation for combat, are all about.

One of the features I like about Martell's book is its same programs: multi-year programs to build a combat team's training around, pre-competition programs for the final week and a half of training and weight-cutting ... if you're a planner like me, then it's some really good stuff.

I'm going to include Martell's One Year Program as part of my pseudo-Grappling Gameplan for 2009. He notes monthly goals that can help focus your training over the course of the year, including spring and fall fighting seasons.

January
Develop a new technique.
In addition to the other things I'm working on, I want to put a focus on Rap Star in January. It could end up being the basis of my non-half guard, guard game.

Build strength through heavy weight training for power.
Squat muscle endurance program begins in January. Pull routine 2x week (Monday, Thursday). Berardi/Beaster 1x week (Tuesday).

Develop body awareness and flexibility through gymnastics.
3T Flex 2x week (Sunday, Wednesday)

Teach some youth wrestling to develop your analytic approach to wrestling.
Regularly update and maintain "side control"