Saturday, January 17, 2009

Straight Outta Tatame

Monday:
Lance: Didn't have much of a gameplan trying to pass open guard. Need to focus on a specific passing attack, instead of just floundering around out there. If I'm going to get swept, I might as well get swept trying one of the passes I want to master.

Got caught twice by the Saulo crossbody choke. Mostly a function of losing good position, at least the second time. Bigger issue is not having a better side control escape effort, not getting caught by the choke. Bad things happen in bad places.

Benny: Need to work the transition from half guard to moth guard. Also hesitated too often instead of trying the overhook trap tackle from half guard.

Tuesday:
Stephen: Need to improve balance when standing to pass guard. Remember to switch sides when one pass attempt fails, especially against open guard.

Thursday (no gi):
Takedown KOTH: Too tentative overall. Good to be careful, but can't be so careful that I don't make effective attacks. Relax and focus on the technical aspects.

Mount KOTH: Forgot to chamber the leg and execute the technical escape. It was like the bottom dropped out and I just stayed on the defensive. I could use more work like that in the future.

Guard KOTH: Incredibly this is where I did the best. A little too "clinchy" without transitioning to Rap Star or a bunch of other no gi routines. Also would have been an excellent opportunity to work my butterfly guard. Some good Old School from half guard, though.

General sparring: Pat caught me in a guillotine choke. I need to be careful about ducking my head when going for my deep half guard sweep. If I monitor the choke threat - and maintain a healthy respect for it - I'll do a better job of avoiding it as I go for my attacks.

Also remember the basic guillotine escape: (1) protect the neck, (2) reach over the shoulder to the back to keep everything tight, (3) pike up and twist your outside hip in and down as you back out of the guard and move toward crossbody, where the choke will be practically ineffective.

I already mentioned the variation on the Fugitive that Steve showed me. I definitely want to work that deep into my open guard game.