Saturday, January 10, 2009

Straight Outta Tatame

Monday: Need to focus on specific guard pass strategy, was a little scattered tonight trying to work the knee-through Royler pass. Remember to work on the overhook guard, both the trap tackle and the stuff sweep (he hooks, I hook). Protect the neck first before adjusting body when being attacked with chokes.

Tuesday: Fought out of some tough chokes when trying to pass the half guard. I need to remember to look in the direction of the choke to avoid choking myself. I was trying to pass and the choke was coming from the guy's left arm and I was looking to my left too much. Face the attack.

Still not working the overhook guard out of half guard as I'd hoped. Maybe I'm still getting my mat legs back, because I do want to make sure I cover that aspect of the half guard before I get too deep into training camp.

Thursday: Keep working on the knee through pass. It's an ideal pass for a slow, heavy, tight game like mine. Knee through, leg rope and then toreano. Top game really seems to be coming back to where I left it in the fall of 2007. The double-leg swing out move from Saulo's book worked nicely to help get me deeper into half-guard, and I'm finding it easier to be aggressive and take the initiative.

Out of the sitting guard, consistently worked for the collar choke. I liked that and want to keep at it some. Pressed the collar choke all night and, even though I never really came close, liked the focus it gave me, the ability to set up a deception.

Slipped into moth guard for a little while to no effect, but good on me for going to it. Still don't really "feel it" when rolling live.

I like what I was able to do with the kimura v.s. straight armlock or keylock from crossbody. Threaten the kimura knowing that the reaction will likely to be bring the hand up. Be ready to attack it with either the straight armlock or the keylock as his forearm moves up.

Had a chance to try Saulo's snake defense against the knee through pass, but managed to fend it off by blocking the knee. I need to remember to let some of those attacks happen, so that I can practice my escape. I did like how I countered one successful knee-through with the body lock roll technique that is a counter to the scarf hold position. It was nice to see that work.

Friday: Three rolls, six minutes each. Starting to emphasize angles in guard attack, off the sitting guard especially. Need to make sure moth guard sweep attack is also at an angle, near perpendicular. Swing, swing, swing.

Don't get stalemated in the guard. Stand and risk the scramble. If you end up in guard then you get a chance to work your guard game. In this way, it's really a double blessing if played right. Take more risks on top in order to increase the opportunity to work on weak positions from the bottom.

Starting to see a connection between responses to my half guard and the options to switch to moth or Rap Star against low attacks and sitting guard or butterfly against high attacks. An offensive half guard can set up the transition to one of these other guard attacks, as well as a sweep straight off the half guard.

Worth pointing out that Saulo's double leg swing to get deeper into half guard worked very well. I'm starting to have more confidence - and success - with Old School and coming up on the knee.

Found some nice moth guard sweeps in the spider guard section of The Essential Guard that are making me more excited to work out of this position. There's also a breakdown of the basic twist sweep out of the moth guard that Rodrigo showed us (the "1" sweep).