Friday, January 30, 2009

Thursday Night Training

Last night we spent time working on triangle attacks from the full guard, as well as the flower sweep. From the full guard, we worked a closed guard attack when the guy reaches back to unhook your ankles, as well as a spider/open guard attack with pressure on the bicep with the extended leg leading to a slip move and a triangle trap.

We also worked on the basic flower sweep. I can't remember if there was a particular wrinkle that Rodrigo was adding to the flower sweep. But later, when we did a 20% Live drill, he had us include the flower sweep along with the triangle attacks, so maybe I'm missing something.

For the no gi open mat I rolled with Andrew for about 20 minutes. I tried to bring some butterfly guard to the game, but often ended up reverting to half guard. I'm just not going to beat myself up about the half guard - at least not for a few weeks. It's my go-to guard and insofar as overall jiu jitsu expectations have gone up, there's nothing wrong with making sure my go-to guard game is as tight as it can be.

One thing I noticed is that I'm starting to lose the feel of the twist sweep from half guard because I have been focused so much on improving my tackle sweep. Being able to go both ways with my sweeps from the half guard will be a priority next month leading into the tournament.