Monday, October 26, 2009

An American in Brazil

One of the great embarrassments/achievements of my life is my Master's degree in Latin American Studies with an emphasis on Brazil. The achievement part is obvious - earning a Master's degree was pretty cool. The embarrassment part is two-fold: that I never became fluent in Portuguese (though I could read Portuguese passably well for a while) and that I never went to Brazil.

So it is that I often find myself living vicariously through travel logs like this:

DC2Brazil: The chronicles of a self-important gringo leaving the monuments of Washington for the beaches of Rio de Janeiro.
As a college student, I studied abroad for a year in Chile. Soon after, I completed my college degree and made my way to Washington, DC.

After two years in DC, I quit my job during a recession to instead pursue my affinity for language and travel.

The purpose of this blog is straightforward. It is an experiment in risk and opportunity. It is my record of what is possible when we forgo the comfort of predictability and embrace the adventure of possibility.