Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Training Day: Tuesday

162.4 on the scale before training. 157.4 after.

Part of why I know I missed training on Monday was because I ate too much over the weekend (our first "dinner party" in years) and didn't get in any activity after training on Friday. Not training is bad enough, but combining it with overeating is something really bad. My stomach still feels awful - though better than it was this time yesterday.

It seems like 160 has become the new 170. Having dropped down below 155 for so many weeks, it is no fun being back above that number, even if only by 5 pounds.

Tonight was very much a training night. A good hard warmup, then some standup, then guard/pass guard for the duration. After that, I got in a roll with Jesse, who I haven't rolled with in a long time. That pretty much did it for me for tonight.

A few notes: my Flat Pass is doing a very, very good job of getting me to half guard more often than not. But I'm still having a harder time than I should when it comes to passing the half guard. My strategy over the past several days has been to attack with submissions and passes alternately until something opens up. While I'm still going to go with this, I need to work on my latest half guard pass series which gives me three different options without needing to distract with a submission attempt.

Back on the mat tomorrow - and likely Thursday and Friday, as well. There's even a halfway decent chance that I'll get on the mat Saturday, but I don't want to push it. If I can get my four days this week (TWRF), then I'm not going to cry about not getting a fifth.