Friday, October 16, 2009

Training Day: Friday

Ended up taking Thursday night off, as well. I figured that training today, and then all weekend at the Saulo seminar, I'd get in plenty of mat time - if not the conditioning.

Rodrigo is really turning up the temperature in the warmups. The Friday warmup - to which I arrived late - was a bruising circuit of pushups, situps, sitouts, sprawls, chokes, squats and high knees. You can tell it's tournament time.

I'm not convinced I would have made it all the way if I'd been there on time. If I have one goal between now and November, it's to get back in some halfway decent shape. I really feel as if I lost most of whatever I had been building on this score with my double dip cold. And I'm not likely to get all that back in what are now three weeks. But it will be interesting to see how far down the line I can get.

We started off with alternating takedowns. I worked with a new, 6-month white belt whose name I can't remember right now. I focused on breaking the collar grip more than anything, which will be key to any ability to attack with a single or double leg from a tie-up.

One thing I'm not practicing is much as I should is pulling half guard. I had great success with that in the spring - even more than my success with the Jacare in the summer. I don't know how much I want to go with it. But I should definitely make sure that it is sharp.

The first half of the instructional was the same side control escape we worked on back on Tuesday. It was very nice to work on the same technique again. Rodrigo emphasized avoiding "holding down" the guy when doing the double underhooks, and in getting maximum control of the arm in the "arm drag" portion of the escape.

The second half was the collar drag escape from rear mount. Some of the key details here were in rotating over to your side, planting the far knee as you step over, elevating your hips to create space to turn into the guy and, finally and most importantly, to turn your head into the guy. This last step is really critical in helping you drive yourself back into the guy's rear mount.

I got to roll with both Shawn and Bryan. I've pretty much abandoned standing guard passes against anyone my level or better for now, and instead of focused on both the Flat Pass as well as trying to bait the guy into attacking with a butterfly guard and then using the Wallid Ishmael pass. I don't know how much I will be able to make out of this over the next few weeks. I would like to incorporate the Leo Viera pass that resembles the one Rodrigo showed us the day (!) before the summer Revolution event - the pass that's half leg rope, half Jack pass. But I don't have all the time in the world ...

I'd love for Saulo to include the leg rope pass in his seminar tomorrow. There's going to be four hours of gi instruction, so there's plenty of room. In any event, I want to make sure that I'm well-nourished so as to make the most out of the day. Rodrigo said that there were only about 8 Gracie Barra guys going - which surprises me a little. But it will be interesting to see who shows up.