Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Training Day: Tuesday

A pretty good day back at GB Seattle. I was a little anxious due to a lingering sore throat and the sense that, despite the upbeat pace of Saulo's seminar, I hadn't done any hard training since Friday. Rodrigo turned it up to "more than warm", but not quite as hot as I suspect things will get in a week. I felt challenged to my limits during the warm-up/conditioning phase, which was good. The standup variation was left collar grip / right collar grip, and go for the leg without breaking the grip. Light sparring pace.

We worked on the double bicep hook side control escape tonight as the main instructional, and Rodrigo added a choke after you get to the side. I was fatigued after the first part and I think that played some role in my losing focus on the feed-the-collar part of the choke. This was predictably bad on my bad side. But it was very nice to get to work the same escape some more. Part of it is circuit building and part of it is conditioning. A perfect blend any time, but especially pre-competition.

Training was four minutes guard/pass guard. I actually liked my disciplined approach of attacking with the Flat Pass first to my better side and then to my weaker side. If I were smart, I'd train my weak side almost exclusively between now and the Revolution (the Maia Plan, per the UFC's Mike Goldberg - of all people). But we'll see how that goes. Then, in an even more stunning display of self-discipline, I switched to standing passes for the rest of the session. I never got to really implement the Crab or the 1 on 1 from standing, though I did bring back the oldie, but goodie in PTMU which I would do well to drill a few times between now and then.

From the bottom I was a little timid in my full guard - very timid actually, setting up left armlocks and pretending I was "threatening" with them when there really wasn't any chance of me pulling the trigger. I also went with my basic half guard game - and on my best side, too - which wasn't impressive. I could have redeemed myself if I'd practiced either the armdrag or the slingshot. But apparently lightning will have to strike before I train either of those situations when given the opportunity ...

I did find myself getting all Saulo/Rickson during sparring after training. I was attacking from the guard with a lot of foot-in-the-hip straight armlocks early on. There were a few aspects later in the session that I'm not proud of, and need to be more mindful of moving on when a situation is not working in my favor instead of staying until the situation finally bends to my will. It's ultimately a poor way to practice and can do a disservice to my training partner, as well.

That doesn't mean just "giving up" a good position because the submission hasn't arrived. Maybe it just means being even less risk-averse and attacking with submission like an armlock that forces me to give up the position and give the other guy the chance to escape.

Something to keep in mind. 155.2 on the scale after training which wasn't bad considering. I was 166.2 with the gi before class, which was well under the IBJJF lightweight with gi limit of 167.5. I suspect over the next just-under-three-weeks, I'll shed "permanently" another two pounds, which will take care of the 154.9 I need to make on November 6th.

Looking for a way to take Cindy's Friday night no-gi class. I meant to ask Jeff B. what the odds were of the Revolution becoming a two-day event, with gi on one day and no gi on the other. Even though I'd be competing in the advanced group now with some real tough guys I'm sure, a part of me would love to give no gi competition a try in my second year of faixa roxa-hood.

We'll see about Cindy's Fridays. It may not be until after the Revolution. But the idea of being able to train at night, come home and NOT have to think about getting up at 5:30 the next morning sounds pretty good to me.