Friday, July 09, 2010

Training Day: Friday

Working with Bryan is about as pedagogical an experience as you can get on the mat, short of working with one of the professors. This was the second time in a row that I've gotten to work with him during the Fundamentals in a while and it was a reminder of how incredibly helpful an interested and engaged training partner can be.

Truth told, in the past I've found myself in drills with teammates who really seemed to want to be somewhere else, sometimes. I don't mind the sentiment; it is the nature of Mind to drift, is it not? But at least help me go through the right motions, so we don't feel cheap afterwards.

None of that with Bryan, who is helping put the single underhook pass into my guard passing vocabulary. Both the basic stress stretch and the cut inside if the guy gives you a lot of heavy leg and hip out need to be worked and worked again. Given that I don't have anything in my guard passing game that even resembles the single underhook pass, there is only upside in adding it.

Feeling very sloppy and out of sorts on the bottom lately. When I'm in full-blown Rap Star or half, things are more or less in focus. But I found it harder than usual to get into good guard positions on the bottom. Some of this probably had to do with it being relatively late in the training session, and the legs starting to feel heavy. At the same time, a little focus and a little effort can probably save me a lot of panic and a lot of effort down the line.

One of the secrets to my cardio issue is not having a specific agenda for each situation. In the absence of that, I end up splashing around in the water, making little progress, barely treading water, and wasting calories of valuable energy.

Roger Gracie put it perfectly in an article that appeared in April this year.
Champions need to be patient. I like the metaphor about the drowning man. If he starts debating about what to do, he'll lose air quicker and could make rash decisions. To start swimming willy-nilly could take him down even deeper. Now, if he keeps his calm he'll make it to the surface much more easily. The same applies to Jiu-Jitsu ...

159.0 on the scale, post-train. Not great for a Friday. But given where I've been on the scale all year, I'll take it.

"Competition Team" training tomorrow. It will still be nice to be able to sleep in.