Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Training Day: Tuesday

Fundamentals Week 3a began today insofar as Monday was treated more or less like a holiday-training session. We're back to working on passing the guard, which is always worthwhile practice for me. I'm trying to get to that point that Mike Fowler talked about when he started to really love the challenge of passing guard. And given my history of guard passing, that's a very good thing.

The underhook pass from standing was the main technique. I worked mostly with a new, young guy Igor, focusing on counting out the steps (always a good training tool), keeping my lapel elbow tight and underhooking the leg right under the kneecap. Drop the underhook side knee by the hip to block and sprawl the other leg back as you lean forward, bringing the guy's knee to his nose.

Good hard training on Tuesday. We did a bunch of rounds and I got to roll with Lance, Wellington, Elliott and Bruce, who I don't think I've seen in half a year, among others.

Managed to get Brock to show me the slingshot sweep that I've been meaning to add into my sweep game for almost a year now. He caught me with that sweep a few classes back so I wanted to see what he liked about the sweep and what details were working for him. I doubt I'll be training that sweep too much right now, with the tournament a little over a week away, but in the second half of the year, it wil be right up there with the deep half in terms of training priorities.