Monday, July 05, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Just training today, as Rodrigo treated Monday as more of a holiday/competition prep day than a regular class session.

After the warmup, we paired up and drilled armbars and triangles from the guard (2 min/2/1). After that, it was straight into training. I worked with Dex, Rodrigo and Elliott, as well as with a new white belt I didn't recognize. The Dex, Rodrigo and Elliott rolls were 6 minutes each without a break, which was good conditioning, as well.

While I still need to work more on getting to 4-point positions after passing the guard, I was relatively happy with what I was able to do on the guard from bottom. Switching from Rap Star to straight half, for example, was a nice transition, and I like the hip lock I've started to develop out of Rap Star that is giving me both the time and the open space to dive for the straight half.

Got into an extended dogfight out of the half guard that eventually resulted in a reverse but took more work than I would have liked. There are certain areas of jiu jitsu where I need to develop an edge and the half guard/dogfight game is one of them. I noticed Rodrigo showing Dex and Tom how to resolve the dogfight position with a twistback type of reverse (bring the outside, free hand back behind the guy's near leg to trap it as you sweep him backwards) that avoid the standing tactic I usually take. Something to remember going forward.

160.8 on the scale post-train, which is very good for the Monday of a three-day weekend and a reasonable upside limit for the next two weeks.