Saturday, July 10, 2010

Training Day: Saturday

The best training day of the week just got a lot better. With Rodrigo's latest schedule change, Saturday training is now "competition team" training. Nothing but specific training to start and several rounds of sparring to finish, it was a great two hours of rolling with a pretty good variety of guys - including Brock, Clint, Benny, and Profs Rodrigo and Carlos.

Nothing super remarkable. My conditioning was very good, and I was able to train pretty much straight through the two hours (I did arrive just after the warm-up). I'm feeling more and more competent and comfortable passing the guard. But I'm still feeling as if my guard is essentially a "safe clinch" - only on the ground.

I'm doing a decent enough job of avoiding the pass - or too much danger. But I need to focus more on getting the game to flow to places where I want it to. I'm still playing a lot of "Get Smashed Half Guard" and am getting away with it - which isn't good. Of late, the best transition has been to Rap Star from Get Smashed - that or going for Rodeo sweep with the lapel ...

A very nice 157.4 on the scale post-train. I was actually around 162-163 in the gi before training, which is plenty of room for next week.