Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Florian En Route to Featherweight

Story courtesy of MMA Junkie
Two-time UFC lightweight title-challenger Kenny Florian (14-5 MMA, 11-4 UFC) officially is headed to the featherweight division.

This past week on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), Florian was asked about the possibility and said he would "never ever say never ever."

Today, he took to Twitter to confirm the plans following a report from ESPN.com. But he said the lightweight division still is in his future.

"I'll indeed be fighting at 145 pounds," wrote Florian, who's an analyst on ESPN's "MMA Live" program. "It is a great new challenge. My goal is to get belt at featherweight, and I'll be back at 155."
With regard to MMA, the featherweight division is still maturing, and it will continue to be interesting to see competitors like Florian and Tyson Griffin make the move lower.

I'll admit that Florian's decision to cut down another weight division has helped inspire me to straighten up and fly right when it comes to keeping my own weight down. There's no edge for me in getting too much lighter than 155, which still finds me at leve. But I do think that I'm a better, more agile and assertive jiu jitsu fighter at 155 than I am at 165 (to say nothing of this current monstrous girth north of 77 kilos ...) So the idea is to create a new benchmark, a lower "walking around weight" as the kids call it, and see what that does for me.