Saturday, February 12, 2011

Training Day: Saturday

A good hard warmup and then, boom, Open Mat, all day. I think I got in about 6 or 7 eight-minute rolls for somewhere between 48-56 minutes of training for the day which is a really nice session for me. Among other things, it was a reminder of how good my threshold training is paying off, where I'm working at threshold HR levels for 7-8 minutes for 3 to 5 rounds with two minute breaks. It was nice to dig down deep for the extra juice and find it, for a change.

Good all-around training, though I'm not working the open guard passes the way I need to . Sometimes the opportunity just isn't presenting itself, and it's hard to steer someone into a guard they may not be interested in playing. Still, there's a week to go before Fight Speed kicks in, so hopefully this week I can get some of that work in. Those three points remain the most critical ones for me and getting those three points by way of passing the open guard is still a high hurdle.

160.3 on the scale post train, perfectly fine for now.