Sunday, April 04, 2010

Bloody Elbow's Judo Chop: Maia Over Quarry

As the Sherdog forums have become increasingly unreadable (save for the Grappling forum, at least), I've spent more time over at Bloody Elbow. More and more, Sherdog is what I listen to (at least on Tuesday and Thursday), but Bloody Elbow is what I read.

This series, "Judo Chop", is an example why. Here's a review of just one move by Demian Maia in his fight against Nate Quarry. One of the things I love about this is that it comes out of the half guard and is a counter to the whizzer. I've made this takedown in my arsenal for awhile, but it is nice to see how Maia uses the setup to get the high percentage takedown.

Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Demian Maia Pulls Half Guard on Nate Quarry, Starts a Dogfight
But the cool part of the move was the way Maia pulled half-guard on Nate Quarry, entangled his legs, got up on his feet, fended off Quarry's whizzer and ended up on top. It was like Maia was some sort of human superglue, all he needed was a brief contact to ensnare Quarry in a fatal grappling bout. There are more gifs in the full entry so you can see for yourself.