Monday, April 05, 2010

Return of the Son of Training in Brazil

I'll admit that I don't ever remember reading a "bad" article about training in Brazil. But this most recent one from Mark Mullen of Gracie Barra Calgary is in many ways especially nice, concise and certainly has a special appeal for those of us in the 40+ crowd whose nightclubbing days are increasingly behind us.

Training BJJ in Brazil
As I lay gasping on the cold pavement of the Trans Canada Highway, the 18 wheeler that had just plowed me over belching diesel exhaust into my face, my life essence slipping into the next plane of existence, my last thoughts were "Shit!! I never made it to Rio de Janeiro" I bolted upright, awake out of that feverish dream, heart pounding. I had daydreamed about going to Rio to train jiu-jitsu for over 10 years, but never found the right circumstances, time or money.

I resolved right then and there in the darkness that I would go to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in the next year of my life.