Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Training Day: Wednesday

Traffic and other issues made for another late arrival on Wednesday. The trade-offs were getting to train with Cindy, Bryan, Benny and Glenn - and catching up with Pat for a minute, who was on the sidelines.

Mount is the theme for this week. I'll have to get the Fundamentals 7A lesson on Friday, but 7B included a mount escape with and without using the threat of a choke to bump and run.

I made it in time for the second move. Here was the more basic hipscape to guard recovery. One of the key details that Rodrigo showed was bumping the guy with your up knee before sliding your flat leg (which should be bent) up and into guard. This bump is hugely critical, and makes it a helluva lot easier to get that other leg into the game.

Another major detail Rodrigo added was swinging your legs together like a pendulum from side to side to get some space when the guy on top has a really high mount with knees in your armpits. All you need is enough space to get one elbow on the mat. That's enough to get to your side and get going with the rest of your escape.

Very interesting roll with Glenn after some serious specific work (mount/mount escape) with Bryan and Benny. Glenn caught me with a great half guard sweep. I'm not even sure which one specifically - sort of a deep single leg. But I was impressed by the way he stuck with the sweep, even as I worked to counter. Slow, methodical. That's what I love about the half guard sweeps.

A good day on the mats. Pretty heavy post-train at 166. But I'm not going to fret about it too much. I just want to work myself slowly up to the point where I'm training every day (as in M-F), which should take care of everything.

Another bright point. I managed to get into deep half guard and execute a fairly decent "walk twist" or Homer Simpson sweep. I still get an uncomfortable feeling that guys are about to take my back when I go for the deep half. But so far so good.