Monday, April 19, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Big news of the day was a bit of a bummer: Bryan was trying to put on a triangle from the mount and ended up injuring his foot on the rollover. Like a lot of jiu jitsu injuries, the worst part seemed to be the first part. Bryan was able to make it down the stairs on his own and was hobbling around on his own when I left - which I'm going to take as a relatively good sign.

As I suspected, the self-defense moves we do as part of the new curriculum are repeated over the course of the 14-week program. Today, for example, we did the hip throw counter to the over-the-arm frontal bear hug.

Actually, Rodrigo added some elements to the finish here that were different. The first was a far side armlock after going to knee on belly following the throw. The second was a choke off the same knee on belly position, using a sprawl to really put the pressure behind the choke with your upper body.

Tatame was pretty good. Today I mostly focused on pace and trying to keep the my guard well composed. That was especially the case rolling with a larger blue belt who I've started to notice training in the early classes.

A hefty 166 post-train. Not much I can say about that. I'm hoping to walk that down over the next few weeks.