Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Training Day: Wednesday

Great to see Bryan back on the mat today. I got held up and missed the warm-up and first self-defense technique (I'll pick it up on Friday), so I wasn't really able to ask him about the quick turnaround. But it was still nice to see given how scary things seemed for a few moments at least on Monday.

Working a lot on the mount this week. On Monday, we worked bump and rolls and being alert to the threat of the choke by posting on the chest. Today we worked on some issues from the top, particularly avoiding getting rolled in the bump and roll and letting the guy get to turtle. From here, an under-the-arm lapel grip to help you roll the guy to the side as you reach around the neck with the other arm.

One key detail here was to keep the choking arm's elbow on the mat. You don't want to roll too much. Having the choking elbow on the mat provides for a lot of leverage and you don't want your choking elbow up in the air without support.

Did a lot of specific training, which I love. Did some mount/mount escape work with Benny and then King of the Guard with the lightweight division of the class. I'm feeling increasingly comfortable and aerobic in both situations - though since the King of the Guard work was no-submission, I really wasn't able to work on Rap Star like I intended. I did manage to do some good pre-Rap Star grip-fighting in my sparring roll with Glenn later. But no full-fledged Rap Star guard.

161.2 on the scale post-train. I was hoping for an under-160 number, but dropping almost five pounds in two days is fine with me. At a minimum, after my Friday training, I'd like to be another two and a half on the light side.