Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Why I Fight"


I'm no Dana White hater. At the end of the day, he seems to be far more responsible for what is good in mixed martial arts (MMA) than what's bad. And insofar as we are finite, fallible beings, that's enough to put Dana in the "plus" column as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I love BJ Penn for more reasons than sharing his surname. And I'm more than inclined to believe his take on his relationship with Dana White and the UFC after he won the UFC welterweight title from Matt Hughes.

Quote of the Day: BJ Penn Tells an Interesting Story About Dana White
Did I like him at the dinner table? Sure. But at the negotiating table? Not at all. The pressure to perform and safeguard other people's money had changed him, even though he was constantly bragging to anyone willing to listen about how 'big this thing was going to be.' Things between us would never be the same.

BJ's book, Why I Fight is the biggest MMA must read in years. I paged through a copy at the local Barnes and Noble over the weekend and have put the book near the top of my little birthday wishlist.