Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ask Burien Top Team: Weight-Lifting ... How Necessary?

I would argue that it is far easier to gain a technical edge over a technically superior opponent than it is to develop a strength edge (or even strength compatitibility) with a stronger opponent.

In other words, I can learn and develop a sweep that will work against those who are, by all accounts, technically better than I am in jiu jitsu. But the guys who are significantly stronger than me right now are probably going to remain significantly stronger than I am unless I devoted a disproportionate amount of time to improving my strength - time that would inevitably take away from jiu jitsu training to some degree.

Because I want to improve my effectiveness in jiu jitsu, I think this is a terrible trade.

The rest of my ramblings here.