Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Training Day: Wednesday

Working on guard passes as part of the Fundamental lesson right now, the single underhook pass with collar slide or Fundamental 3B for those of you playing the home version.

Trained with Jesse and Nick for Live Training. I'd been thinking about how best to deal with someone like Jesse for the past few days, so it was nice to get a chance to roll with him. With his length, things like the 2 on 1 seem not to provide me with enough control. But I did better with the 2 on 1 than with the deep half I'd thought might be a better approach, so you never know. I still want to work a lot more on the deep half - I'm seeing more and more guys attack with it, but I still think I might have an edge relatively speaking.

Rolling with Nick was especially good insofar as his strength meant that I'd have to focus all the more on technical solutions to problems I found myself dealing with. I've been a little sheepish about rolling with bigger, stronger guys since my shoulder started bugging me a month ago or so. But there are a lot of guys like Nick who are only a weight class or two above mine that it would probably do me good to spend more time working with - from both a training and a "teaching" perspective.

Had a couple of very interesting conversations about jiu jitsu today, one before training with Lance and one after training with Jesse. More about that tomorrow.

160.8 on the scale post-train.