Saturday, September 04, 2010

What's Working: Daily Stretching

One of the great early successes of Training Year 6 (Aug 2010 - Jul 2011) is my daily stretching routine, which just notched a full month of consecutive practice.

The trick has been to cut my routine in half. The full upper body/lower body routine I do have 18 different stretches, some L/R, some with as many as six parts (like the standing hamstring stretch).

Holding each position for at least 30 seconds can make this a longer routine than I'd like, especially since I do my stretching at night between 8 and 9. It got to be easy to skip a night, then two nights, then struggle to make up the work later.

But by cutting the routine in half and doing upperbody and hip stretches one night and leg streches the next, I've managed to cut the daily routine down to where I don't feel as if I'm going to have to spend half an hour on the floor.

Maybe it would be different if I were already a flexible person and stretching was more a combination of maintenance and showing off (bitter much?). But as it is, stretching is no big pleasure and I'm usually pretty glad to get it over with. So props to me for finally getting a month's worth of stretching in the books.