Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Training Day: Wednesday

I've started only training the Live Training sessions since Monday. I've been toying with this idea for some time, and circumstances are starting to make it possible for me to give this approach a try.

The idea is to spend more focused time on sparring, to not get distracted by the 3, 4 or 5 moves of the day that accompany every Fundamentals class. For years, I've had a hard time "getting to" what I wanted to work on when the time came for sparring or Live Training in large part because my mind was still buzzing with what I'd just learned minutes ago. Now, within a few minutes of arriving at the academy, I'm on the mat working on whatever I want to be working on. For now, that seems like a good plan.

And maybe a common one. Nobody tells you how you are supposed to train once you get your brown belt. But you can see what brown belts tend to do - and that is to pretty much spend most of their time in Live Training and those Advanced classes that allow them to develop their games at a largely self-directed pace.

So that's what I'm trying - at least in the run-up to the November Revolution. We'll see how it works.

I'm still focusing on guard work, specifically hook sweeps and 2 on 1 control of the arm. I haven't done any specific half guard to hooks guard transitions, but I'm trying to get more and more comfortable with closing the distance to attack with the hooks. Between that and the 2 on 1, I'm starting to see a few things that I like. There was even an armdrag threat I was able to pull off at one point. Not every day you are going to see that out of yours truly.

Back on the mat Friday and Saturday. It looks like the school will definitely be closed next week, so I'm considering my options about training in the last few days before the Seattle Open. Griff's provided a couple of worthwhile things to consider, options I should take up in the weeks and months to come even if I don't take advantage of them here in late September. Especially insofar as I'm spending more and more time in Live Training, getting some work in with new training partners is well worth keeping in mind.

No weight today; I forgot to get on the scale before I was pretty much dressed and ready to go. I'll get in a Friday weight - which will give me a good, one-week-out snapshot of where I stand.