Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Thoughts on the 2 on 1 & More!

While I look for a way around, over or under the psychic block that's apparently preventing me from working on the slingshot guard, I have been able to spend a lot of time on the 2 on 1. I haven't really pulled off the sweeps or the take-the-back. But I have begun to get more and more accustomed to the grips and controls, as well as the sort of opportunities they might provide.

One thing I noticed is that any fight to free the wrist works in my favor because it gives me the opportunity to be first with the attack. If I have the elbow then as far as the sweep or the back take is concerned, the wrist is just a compliment.

It's not quite the "deception" in my Batman Begins-esque formulation. But there are some of the same elements. Marcelo says that "any time you defend you are losing the fight"; Patton: "advancing constantly" ... One way to attack is by distracting the opponent, helping him waste his time and energy not just in defending, but often in defending attacks that might not even exist.

Back on the mat tomorrow. I did some hip flexor and abs work today, 6 of 20 glute bridges, solo armbars, decline sit-ups and incline leg raises. I'm trying to put this work in the same category, ultimately, as the stretching, which has become an early training year success story. The shoulder feels better every day - I don't know how much credit to give the Cissus, but I'm sticking with what's working.

In a lot of ways, the October 2nd tournament will be like having a home opener at a new stadium. Rodrigo plans to have the tournaments as a regular series, with three or four events a year. And while they won't be quite as big as the Revolution events, they will be sizable, "3-4 mats at a time" productions, with a good number of schools participating.

I haven't seen the new facility, even from the outside. I think a couple of guys trooped over there on Monday after training, but it will still be a surprise for me when I finally get to take a look-see for myself. From what I've heard, it will be hard to miss the old "treehouse" we've been training in for the past couple of years - which is good news, sentimentality notwithstanding.