Saturday, September 11, 2010

Training Day: Saturday

I got to training a little late, but more than made up for lost time by rolling with a lot of good guys - top of the list being a roll with Rodrigo. I've noticed that both Profs. Rodrigo and Carlos both like to attack the guard from standing from time to time, which on Saturday gave me a great opportunity to work the single X. I didn't get much farther than the cross guard before Rodrigo passed. But it was nice to feel myself almost instinctively flow into the positions I wanted to be in. That's what I need to do more of.

The most important detail of the day has to be keeping my balance during the first stage of my half guard pass series. Both Jeremiah and Clint were able to reverse me backwards as I put pressure on the lower leg of their 1/2 guard lock and wedged my free knee inside. I think a little more control over the upper body is what was missing and what led to getting reversed. I'll need to check back in with the Saulo DVD to see if this is the detail I'm missing.

Still working the 2 on 1. I need to make sure that I move in for the kill the second the guy becomes distracted by trying to free his wrist. That's an excellent ""take the lead" opportunity that I need to look for more often. I also need to look to bail out into deep half, not just half, when things are getting dicey. That's the kind of thing that will give me confidence to continue to train from the bottom against bigger guys and when I'm tired.

157.8 on the scale post-train. Sunday officially starts Pre-Week: 3 weeks out from the Seattle Open and 9 weeks out from the November Revolution.