Monday, September 13, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Just Live Training today as I start to get adjusted to a new tournament prep schedule of training every day. Part of the way I think I'm going to be able to get away with training five days a week will be by taking a few "Live Training Only" days - probably on Monday and Wednesday.

Got in some good training with Benny, Elliott and Glenn, who I haven't gotten the chance to train with in many months. I worked mostly for sensibility - most of the guys had taken the previous class, as well, and were on their second winds. It is a great opportunity, going forward I think, to really work on new positions that I"m trying to integrate into my game.

Nothing in particular stood out from today's training. Some good patience on the step-over choke from side control, waiting for the guy to turn on his side - and the same with a kimura attack from converted north/south. Being patient and relaxing my body continues to be a great way to lull opponents into the false sense of security that sets up the opportunity for the next attack.

Guard work was very minimal - I ended up playing on top for most of the training. The 2 on 1 continues to paralyze for just long enough for me to get an advantage and that advantage has consisted initially of being able to take the top position (I try not to immediately guard pass if we are starting from the knees since it's a semi-unrealistic situation to be passing guard).

160.6 on the scale post-train. Not bad at all for a Monday.