Monday, March 08, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Fundamentals Class:
2A: Mon am/pm, Wed pm
1. Standing two-handed, "rape choke" counter
2. Armbar from the guard
3. Triangle choke from the guard

Notes: (1): Tuck chin, step back and to the side under (or through) the wrist grip of the attacker. Be sure to keep forearms in position to defend against knee strikes. (2): Here, I was making my major mistake of not getting perpendicular on the swing. I've got a drill I used to do that will fix this - but it's a drill I haven't done in some time. (3): I'm definitely a proponent of catching the shin and then stepping off to adjust the angle.

The live training/specific training was pretty good. Rodrigo's been doing short rounds (90 seconds), alternating with sweeps only and sweeps and submissions for the guard player in the guard/pass guard specific. The short rounds are very, very nice (they are longer in the advanced program) because you get conditioned into operating with a fairly finite period of time. Another great addition as Gracie Barra Seattle 3.0 continues to be rolled out.