Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Training Day: Tuesday

I knew that Tuesday would be the hardest training of the week. Tuesday includes the Advanced Program (along with Monday and Saturday), which right now is a circuit of moderate pace alt takedowns, armlocks from the guard, squats and pushups. After that, guard/pass guard specific and rear mount/rear mount escape specific, then an 8-10 minute sparring.

Good hard work. I worked with Nick (the gamer tech), and trained a little with Andrew, Benn and Benny. I was pretty whipped by the end of the session, holding positions rather than being able to advance them. I'm not especially happy about that, and I can tell that there are still too many instances where I'm working too hard. But that is fixable in the intermediate term, if not shorter.

Here's the Fundamentals program for tonight:

2B: Tue pm, Wed am, Thu pm
1. Hip throw counter to standing choke
2. Hip push sweep from guard against standing
3. Armlock from guard against standing

Notes: (1) From tricep grip, penetration step with far side leg and "elbow uppercut", reach around head as if for headlock throw, reverse pivot - Rodrigo and Fabiana included a regrip on the triceps where you swim your arm over and inside and regrip. I'm not sure if I understand this regripping. (2) Knees together for better leverage. Hip split as you come up, plant with one hand and pull up on the collar with the other. Slide the knees in tight to secure the mount. (3) Split the elbows. Crawl the legs. Grip. Underhook off leg and pivot. Swing leg over for armlock.

I really tried to work in opportunities for #2 with the white belt I was working with (Corey, I think). There's no better time for someone to try out a new position than shortly after he or she has learned it. So I'm trying to make it a priority to work the Move of the Day into the initial specific sparring when I'm working with white and blue belts. Benny joked that we ought to have some "thing" we do everytime someone does the Move of the Day in the specific sparring. I think it's a great idea - just some sort of cheer or commendation. We'll see what happens.

Down to 158.0 post-train. The LSD workout I did earlier in the day probably helped that a bit. And I've started dropping calories, too. So far so good.