Monday, March 22, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Professor Fabiana taught the afternoon class today.

4a. Mon am/pm, Wed pm
Headlock w/punch block to shoulder lock
Guard posture recovery / Guard player spider guard entry
Guard posture recovery w/standing to Bullfight Pass

Notes: (1) Look inside. Block the punch. Feed punch to other hand from back. Step out and back (perpendicular), looking up with outside foot with grip on headlocking wrist. Duck and step back against back and shoulder lock headlocking arm. Release trapped punch arm and choke from staggered stance (choke leg in front) (2) Need to ask about the spider guard entry: spider guard far bicep or near bicep? (3) Remember to put weight behind toreano grips (punch the mat). Move quickly to side with shoulder to watchdog (head control then hip control).

Tatame was a little scrappy. Part of my goal with improving my "cardio" is that I think it will allow me to be more relaxed and patient when training. I need to focus on the underhook passes we've been working on - especially now that the toreano is on the schedule for this week. I had a few opportunities for underhook passes today, but just failed to execute.

At least ATM is back in effect. I'm going to start weighing in with my gi pants (and pads and T-shirt/rashguard) on so that I'm tracking the Revolution competition weight as I go. Today was 165.2 post-train, which is fine given that I'm several weeks away from competition (July). Ideally, I'll hit 162 pre-train during the eight-week training camp leading up to the summer Revolution.


BTW, Professor Fabiana has been training at GB Seattle for the past several weeks in preparation for the Pan Am in April. Here is some footage of the Professora in action: