Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shoulder Injury Update

Between the whiny progressives on left-wing talk radio and the whiny capitalists on BloombergTV, jiu jitsu continues to be an excellent summer refuge.

Unfortunately, my shoulder is contuining to give me troubles. I took Wednesday off (largely unplanned, but probably a good thing), and have pretty much cancelled the second half of my tempo training (explosive pushups). I've also had to scrap my Atlas shoulder strengthening routine, though I'm convinced that Atlas is partly responsible for keeping my shoulder injury from being worse.

Right now, it is no where as bad as it was back in the spring of 2008 when I had to sit out several weeks due to the Whizzer from Hell. But I can't plant any weight on it without being very careful of the angle. In sum, it feels like Satan's Own Charlie Horse right in my rear deltoid, though there's some radiating discomfort in my collarbone and traps on that side, as well.

The fact that is is function is definitely a plus - I did a 45 minute ground cardiac capacity workout that largely managed to avoid any undue stress on my shoulder. And once I'm warmed up, things seem to be go well. So it is a watch and see sort of thing right now. The main idea is to not tax it too much now so that I'm ready to go as competition training season begins a little over a month from now.