Monday, August 23, 2010

Training Day: Monday

159.4 on the scale, post-train.

Watching Elliott, Nate and Brock do the takedown training before today's class got me more than a little jealous. But the truth of the matter is that training takedowns would probably be the absolute worst thing for my shoulder right now.

Still working on the back as part of the Big Fundamental (Week 10a, for those of you with the home version). Prof. Carlos provided some nice tips on both the self-defense (adding the osoto gari in case the attacker in the rear choke steps forward to pressure with the knee) and on the escape from rear mount (when bridging back, put your head on the far side of the opponent's head to create some distance and space against the choke).

Some nice things in Live Training today. I'm continuing the "Two Generals" philosophy with better and better results. I'm trying the more aggressive, Marcelo Garcia approach to passing the guard, aggressively going for the 1 on 1 and then looking for the knee cut/Royler for the pass. From the guard, I'm controlling the hands and looking for hook sweep off the eagle grips (far collar/sleeve) or the two-on-one. That continues to be a great way to get things started. It also makes me feel less like a hack when I end up ultimate getting one of my go-to half guard sweeps; if that's how the game unfolds, then I should take the best option available.

I like the omoplata-bait counter to the triangle for now. Not only does it actually take the shoulder - or at least the injured side delt - out of the equation, but also it gives me the opportunity to work on that omoplata escape to side control that Mike Fowler shows in his video.

I also got caught in a version of the slingshot sweep. As far as I'm concerned, that's a reminder that now is a great time to work that sweep into my game (a long, long time goal). I think the trick is to start setting it up very deliberately, at first, bait the trap and see what moves are required in order for the guy to take the bait. More or less, that is what is working for the hook sweep attacks right now. So why not bring that bait strategy over to another field of operations and see what happens?

Very good performance from my shoulder. It's been a few hours and it really feels better than it has in days. I still plan on doing the full Super Cissus treatment in about a week's time. But I'll take any improvement in the meantime, for sure.