Monday, August 30, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Got to training a little late, but was still able to participate in both of the techniques of the day: the pendulum sweep and the armbar attack off the pendulum sweep. Carlos added a variation on the pendulum sweep, a sweep I call the Xande Sweep, where you control the wrist on one side and the pants at the knee on the other. One detail I discovered working with Jeff is that it really helps to put in an extra kick or two as you are trying to finish the Xande Sweep. Don't expect to get the full sweep necessarily with one kick of the leg.

Live Training was interesting for a number of reasons. I wasn't able to work any of my planned games: the 2-on-1, Bullet Time to Slingshot, and I didn't get in my armbars afterwards, either. It's always a little annoying when you are training at a good clip, but feeling as if things are stagnant in your progress. But the more you train, the less likely you are to notice individual, specific moments within the scenery. Like being on a bullet train, you're making progress even if the landmarks are too blurry to see as you shoot by.

I'm a couple days into the Cissus protocol. Since I'm training with the shoulder, it's a little hard to tell whether or not the initial analgesic aspect of the protocol is kicking in. Right now, it takes a few hours after training before the aching starts to kick in. I've been slacking a little on my nightly streteching (missing sessions on Friday, Saturday and Sunday), but I'll make that up over the next day or two.

158.2 post-train. A great way to start the week on this score.