Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Training Day: Wednesday

I felt sluggish as hell in the hours before training on Wednesday. I'd trained Tuesday night, and had a pretty good session with guys like Benny J. and Clint (and, of course, Rodrigo). And I didn't have much more than half a turkey sandwich before going to bed. But though I slept relatively well, I woke up wondering whether or not I'd make it to training today.

Nothing particularly spectacular in today's "Live Training Only" session. We worked some specific training (rear mount/rear mount escape) and I got to work with Prof. Kevin, which was a nice change of pace. I wouldn't go so far as to say that we have similar games. But I do think we have similar sensibilities when it comes to what works and does not work best for us. I'm looking forward to training with him more going forward.

In terms of what's working, I'm getting better and better at finding the spot for the hook sweep out of a variety of positions. I still want to add in a slingshot sweep set-up to the mix - and now is very much the time to focus on improving basic technical skills. I like what I'm starting to see out of my two-on-one attack, though I haven't once been able to lure anyone into the arm cross guard in full.

156.8 on the scale post-train. A very nice place to be.